Find Nuance jobs that match your profile.
Principal Software EngineerApply Job ID 1-44436 Date posted 06/19/2020 Location Burlington, Massachusetts
Nuance is the pioneer and leader in conversational artificial intelligence (AI) innovations that bring intelligence to everyday work and life. We deliver solutions that understand, analyze, and respond to people, amplifying human intelligence to increase productivity and improve security. With decades of both domain and AI expertise, we work with thousands of organizations across a wide range of industries.
Join our team! At Nuance, we are constantly reinventing how people connect with technology and with each other. Our AI-powered solutions empower organizations to transform “business as usual.” For decades, the world’s leading financial, healthcare, telecommunications, retailers, and government organizations have trusted Nuance to bring them award-winning solutions that deliver more meaningful outcomes and empower a smarter, more connected world. From clinical speech recognition technologies that free physicians to spend more time caring for patients to real-time intelligence that powers billions of customer interactions, we’re deeply committed to helping organizations push the boundaries of what’s possible.
Nuance is currently building a completely new product which combines our successful speech recognition technology with language understanding to take even more work off doctor’s shoulders. This product will be highly innovative and is intended to achieve something currently not available anywhere in the medical (or any other) market. The new software will be running in the cloud and needs to be highly scalable to support the anticipated user group – a significant percentage of medical professionals in the United States.
The person we are looking for will be in a position to influence the direction this new product is taking. We are looking for somebody innovative, not afraid to try new things, curious and able to get things done quickly. While a lot of experience developing software in a professional environment are required, we need a person who is able to learn new things quickly. Therefore, no specific programming language is required, and it is assumed that the candidate will be able to pick up the specific toolset currently used inhouse on the go.
The focus of this position will be around the backend infrastructure of the new product – where the actual work gets done. In that area, the specific role is focused around supporting the interaction between the new software stack and existing HIS / EHR platforms. Therefore, previous experience with HL7, FHIR and/or similar data exchange protocols used in the medical sector are a must. Experience designing or working on cloud services or other highly scalable & reliable software is a plus.
Environment: You will be working with an enthusiastic and highly skilled team in an international company. The team designing the new product is currently located in Vienna, Austria and Boston, USA. Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly both in written and spoken English is a must. Experience working with a distributed team is a plus.
- Data exchange infrastructure for data retrieval from and insertion into EHR / HIS platforms.
- Teamworking skills with a problem-solving attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English
- Software development at senior experience level
- Software design support for cloud-based, highly available services
- Contributions towards requirement elicitation, use case and user story creation
- Defining and working with microservices
- Perform tasks related to securing and keeping the products, tools, and processes that you are responsible for securing
Education: B.S. in Computer Science or relevant work experience
Number of Years of Work Experience: 8+
- Minimum 3 years of experience with medical data exchange protocols, 5 years of software development experience
- Experience in solution development utilizing HL7, FHIR or similar medical data exchange protocols
- Professional software development in one modern high-level programming language
- High degree of flexibility
- Openness to new technologies
- Ability to “get things done”
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English
- Ability to work in distributed locations across world
- Unit Testing / Functional Testing
- Cloud solution development;
- Working with distributed teams;
- Server development experience;
- UX / Usability engineering experience;
- Secure Software Development Methodologies especially with regard to the proper and secure handling of Patient Health Information
Nice To Have:
- Familiarity with JIRA, Confluence (Atlassian toolset)
- Familiarity with Git based version control systems
- Experience working with Agile methodologies
Nuance offers a compelling and rewarding work environment. We offer market competitive salaries, bonus, equity, benefits, meaningful growth and development opportunities and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our continuing success.
Nuance celebrates diversity and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action workplace. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, military and veteran status, disability, genetics, or any other category protected by law or Nuance policy. If you need an accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 781-565-5086 and let us know.
You have not viewed any jobs recently
I have been working in the Healthcare industry for close to 20 years and have marveled at how Nuance has been able to keep up with the industry changes and challenges. Every day I am challenged, and every day I make sure the customer comes first. The culture and employees at Nuance are wonderful. I am proud to work for such a dynamic and diverse company and I look forward to the future growth.Kristen Inside Sales
I work with some of the smartest colleagues in the industry to turn leading technology and innovative ideas into products and solutions that solve real life problems and have a positive impact on people. I love the flexibility of working.Martin Product Manager
I fell in love with Nuance especially the innovative platforms we create and we impact people’s lives. The work I do every day at Nuance makes a difference and I know when I go home that I truly did something meaningful and important.Vishnu Tech Support
I recently rejoined Nuance because I love having the privilege of working with a diverse team of nice and talented individuals to drive customer satisfaction. Having the flexibility within my role to get stuff done while maintaining a good work-life balance.Martin General Manager
Life at Nuance
We believe in an inclusive culture founded in innovation, life-long development, community impact, and flexible benefits programs so that you can be your best every day.Learn More
Industries we Serve
Nuance can develop industry-specific solutions for your businessLearn More
- Tweets by NuanceInc