Principal Software Engineer - R&D - Handwriting RecognitionApply Location Lund, Sweden
At Nuance, we empower people with the ability to seamlessly interact with their connected devices and the digital world around them. We are creating a world where technology thinks and acts the way people do by designing the most human, natural, and intuitive ways of interacting with technology.
Our nimble technology uses analytics and advanced algorithms to transform the inanimate into animate and reduce complicated processes into simple ones.
Join our Mobile team…;intelligent systems now ready for the road. We are passionate about developing intelligent interfaces that enable people to talk to their cars, phones, devices, and other smart “things”.
Nuance offers an exciting opportunity for a Principal Software Engineer - R&D to develop and improve handwriting recognition systems for the transformative automotive industry.
The position requires strong mathematical skills to research the possible technology improvements in this field. Deep learning and computer vision skills are specifically interesting, especially if applied to pattern recognition. The position also requires strong programming skills to platform-independently implement the core technology to run efficiently in embedded products and to implement quality assurance programs.
The position is part of an existing small team of R&D engineers with a lot of experience in the field.
In the team you will:
- Research new or improved algorithm for handwritting recognition based on deep-learning technologies.
- Develop databases and data collection methods to add new or improve existing language support of existing or new handwriting recognition engines
- Develop handwriting recognition engines and databases to add support for completely new script
- Implement test programs, run tests, analyze results, file problem reports and investigate and solve issues
- Implement systems to automate training, testing, build, and release processes including big data management and deep learning
- Work in a process of test driven development under agile project management to carry out tasks listed above in close team collaboration
- Work in a large publicly traded multi-national tech company with ditto customers and follow the implied compliance and travel expectations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
You should have:
- PhD or Master of Science with equivalent experience in Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science or similar
- Strong mathematical and algorithmic background
- Strong understanding of commercial embedded software development
- Proficiency with efficient platform-independent C programming for embedded targets
- Strong ability to solve complex problems
- Self-motivated with great ability to work independently as well as in collaboration with others
- Excellent written and oral communication ability in English
- Deep learning and computer vision skills , especially if applied to pattern recognition, and experience with relevant software packages (e.g. TensorFlow)
- Experience with Python, Perl, Make, Matlab and similar script languages
- Experience with big data management and distributed execution for product training, testing and service
- Experience with platform specific (e.g. Windows) GUI programming
- Experience with R&D supporting tools for source control (e.g. Git)
Nuance offers a compelling and rewarding work environment. We offer market competitive salaries, bonus, equity, benefits, meaningful growth and development opportunities and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our continuing success.
Nuance Communication Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement is available here. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 781-565-5086 – Human Resources Department and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Our employees spend their days reinventing the relationship between people and technology. Join Nuance and help shape the future. Hear from members of our global team. Click profiles to learn more.
Close Employee InformationArvind K. R&D Pune, India
Innovation: Nuance is like a $2-billion start-up. There are so many things we are doing for the first time, but the scale is huge and the machinery is complex.
We are a matrix organization: It is challenging but very rewarding to build collaborations with stakeholders that are halfway around the world.
Impact: It boggles the mind to think that such a simple thing like software can not only change lives, but actually save lives. And finally, to paraphrase a quote from an unknown source: You have to be a little bit crazy to work at Nuance, but you have to be completely crazy to work anywhere else.
Close Employee InformationShauna D. Human Resources Burlington, United States
The global HR team is incredibly collaborative and creative. The work environment here at Nuance is diverse, dynamic - offering opportunities to challenge myself, while allowing me to have sound work-life balance.
Close Employee InformationVaidehi K. R&D Bangalore, India
“I like having the opportunity to work with different teams in Healthcare and I have been fortunate to make strong contacts over the years. I enjoy the fact that there are constantly new and diverse challenges and that I get to explore and learn new things every day.”
Close Employee InformationAnja L. Sales Aachen, Germany
I love being part of a team that is creating innovative strategies and building solutions for the world’s biggest companies. We’re changing how people interact with the technology they use every day— like their car—and that’s an incredible feeling!
Working at Nuance
With more than 13,500 employees and 45 offices around the world, we strive to create an exciting, collaborative, and supportive work environment.Learn More
As a key member of our team, you will expand your technical skills exponentially, grow your professional network, and work alongside some of the best and brightest in the world!Learn More
- Tweets by NuanceHealth