Language Engineer - GermanApply Location Aachen, Germany; Ulm, Germany
At Nuance, we empower people with the ability to seamlessly interact with their connected devices and the digital world around them. We are creating a world where technology thinks and acts the way people do by designing the most human, natural, and intuitive ways of interacting with technology.
Our nimble technology uses analytics and advanced algorithms to transform the inanimate into animate and reduce complicated processes into simple ones.
Join our Mobile team…;intelligent systems now ready for the road. We are passionate about developing intelligent interfaces that enable people to talk to their cars, phones, devices, and other smart “things”.
To strengthen its text-to-speech research and development team in Merelbeke (Belgium), Turin (Italy), Aachen or Ulm (Germany),Nuance Communications is looking for a computational linguist or a data scientist with a strong background in data driven text analysis techniques and linguistic tools development.
You will work on one or more linguistic data components such as text normalization, morphological analysis, syntactic analysis, language identification, cross-lingual mapping, phonetic transcription generation or symbolic prosody prediction. You will advance the state of the art by leveraging large corpus analysis, machine learning, semantic tagging, document structure analysis, and crowd-sourcing. A part of the job is also to maintain legacy systems. That may include debugging, understanding and enhancing linguistic rules or a coordination of lexicon and other language resources collection projects.
We offer a dynamic international work environment with stable growth and a global customer base. You will learn about the latest innovations in speech technology and work on Nuance’s flagship text-to-speech system, Vocalizer, which is deployed in most cars and mobile devices sold today and supports over 50 languages.
Summary: Nuance R&D has an open position for a computational linguist with machine learning and data analysis experience to advance the state of the art in areas like prosody prediction or multilingual handling in the Vocalizer text-to-speech system.
- Creation and maintenance of linguistic data components for the Vocalizer text-to-speech system
- Use of data-driven techniques and NLU approaches to refine or replace rule-based approaches
- Testing and evaluation of linguistic data components
- Responding to issues reported from deployed systems
- Development of tools and metrics to track and drive progress in text analysis accuracy
- Continued learning to stay up-to-date with latest trends in speech technology and beyond
- Perform tasks related to securing and keeping the products, tools, and processes that you are responsible for secure
Number of Years of Work Experience: 2+ years of work experience is a strong plus, but promising new graduates are also encouraged to apply
- Computational linguistics or other speech/language data mining related experience
- AI and NLU techniques
- Scripting and programming skills in Python, Perl, or an equivalent programming language
- Ability to work in distributed teams
- Strong communication and analytical skills
- Native proficiency in German
- The successful candidate is a team player and a fast learner with an analytical mindset and a pragmatic approach to problem solving
- Mathematical background and theoretical understanding of machine learning techniques
- Experience with voice technologies such as automatic speech recognition (ASR), text-to-speech (TTS), and natural language understanding (NLU)
- Experience with version control systems (e.g. hg, svn).
- Native proficiency in one of the following languages: American English, French, Czech, Polish, Turkish or Arabic
Education: MSc degree in computational linguistics, computer science, or equivalent
Our employees spend their days reinventing the relationship between people and technology. Join Nuance and help shape the future. Hear from members of our global team. Click profiles to learn more.
Close Employee InformationArvind K. R&D Pune, India
Innovation: Nuance is like a $2-billion start-up. There are so many things we are doing for the first time, but the scale is huge and the machinery is complex.
We are a matrix organization: It is challenging but very rewarding to build collaborations with stakeholders that are halfway around the world.
Impact: It boggles the mind to think that such a simple thing like software can not only change lives, but actually save lives. And finally, to paraphrase a quote from an unknown source: You have to be a little bit crazy to work at Nuance, but you have to be completely crazy to work anywhere else.
Close Employee InformationShauna D. Human Resources Burlington, United States
The global HR team is incredibly collaborative and creative. The work environment here at Nuance is diverse, dynamic - offering opportunities to challenge myself, while allowing me to have sound work-life balance.
Close Employee InformationVaidehi K. R&D Bangalore, India
“I like having the opportunity to work with different teams in Healthcare and I have been fortunate to make strong contacts over the years. I enjoy the fact that there are constantly new and diverse challenges and that I get to explore and learn new things every day.”
Close Employee InformationEric T. Human Resources Atlanta, United States
It was the great Will Rogers who said… “If you want to be successful, it’s just this simple. Know what you are doing. Love what you are doing. And believe in what you are doing.” Here at Nuance –the work has always been challenging, demanding beyond belief, but in the service of others it’s fulfilling. I believe I’m making a difference. I believe together we’re making a difference. This is why I’m here.
Close Employee InformationAnja L. Sales Aachen, Germany
I love being part of a team that is creating innovative strategies and building solutions for the world’s biggest companies. We’re changing how people interact with the technology they use every day— like their car—and that’s an incredible feeling!
Working at Nuance
With more than 13,500 employees and 45 offices around the world, we strive to create an exciting, collaborative, and supportive work environment.Learn More
As a key member of our team, you will expand your technical skills exponentially, grow your professional network, and work alongside some of the best and brightest in the world!Learn More
- Tweets about from:NuanceHealth OR from:NuanceEnt OR from:NuanceHealth OR from:DragonTweets OR from:NuanceImage